Join South Dakota’s newest and safest high school sport!
Schools and student athletes from across South Dakota are invited to join the inaugural 2016 spring league!
Student athletes considering joining a team are required to earn a state-issued hunter education/firearm safety certificate. Existing teams may have limited availability to add new athletes – check with your school. New teams are only limited by the number of athletes that can be on a team as determined by coaching resources and shooting range capabilities.
- Now – March 1: Get team approved, begin promoting new team, acquire students, hold open house to recruit students, acquire coaches.
- January 15: Student athlete registration begins – Coaches enter qualified athletes’ names in their Team Management System™ and distribute password and registration website link to parents to register their athletes. Athletes aged 18 years or older can register themselves.
- March 1: Team commitment to spring league ends – Otherwise schools have to wait until the following spring.
- March 15: Student athlete registration ends – Rosters are set. NO EXTENSIONS ALLOWED.
- April 3: Practice Week 1 begins – Teams are allowed to shoot their scheduled event up to two days a week including weekends. Event schedule begins on Sunday and ends on Saturday. Scores must be entered into their Team Management System™ by 9:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- April 10: Practice Week 2 begins. Conferences are determined.
- April 17: Reserve Week begins – “Reserve” scores are used if a competition week score is not submitted. Reserve Week scores are typically used if a team’s schedule event gets cancelled (inclement weather or school event) and cannot get re-scheduled during the same week or a coach forgets to enter scores before the deadline.
- April 24: Competition Week 1 begins – Competition Week scores are the scores used for conference competition. Scores are published at 9:30 p.m. on each Competition Week event.
- May 1: Competition Week 2 begins
- May 8: Competition Week 3 begins
- May 15: Competition Week 4 begins
- May 22: Competition Week 5 begins
- May 29: Fun Week begins – Fun Week allows teams to host special events for parents/school officials/sponsors, try other sports such as skeet, 5-stand, or sporting clays, practice for year-end tournaments, or team picnic.
- June 11: State Tournament – Aberdeen Gun Club. All participants are invited to compete for individual and team awards in performance categories. Categories include: Novice (0-14.99 year-end average), Junior Varsity (15-18.99), and Varsity (19-25).